Heavy Planet's Top 10 Albums Of 2009

Posted by Captain Beyond Zen on Monday, January 4, 2010

Heavy Planet posted his top ten albums of 2009:

01. Clutch- "Strange Cousins From The West" (Weathermaker)
Heavy Planet: "Clutch has always been one of my favorite bands, and when I heard this album the entire way through for the first time, I knew it was going to be my number one album of the year.  The band continues to redefine themselves even on this being their ninth studio album. I was in the front row for their most recent concert in Pittsburgh and their live performances never fail to impress. If they ever come to your town mark your calendar!"

02. Alice In Chains- "Black Gives Way To Blue" (Virgin/EMI)
Heavy Planet: "When I first heard that Alice In Chains was releasing an album with a new singer, I must say that I was very hesitant. Nobody, I mean nobody could replace Layne Staley's unique vocal. His harmonies with Cantrell were unmatched. Well, I guess I was wrong, what happened was Cantrell went out and found himself a very comparable singer and wrote some amazing songs that were undeniable. The riffs, the harmonies, the gloom and doom along with some great melodies are still all there. Kudos!"

03. Devil To Pay -"Heavily Ever After" (Lax Wax)
Heavy Planet: "Believe it or not, I just listened to this album on my drive to work a few weeks ago. It has great vocals, crushing guitars and memorable songs. This is the band's third full-length and they just keep getting better."

04. House Of Broken Promises- "Using The Useless" (Small Stone)
Heavy Planet: "This album song for song is your classic in-your-face classic stoner rock album. Features former members of Unida. Great stuff!"

05. Kylesa- "Static Tensions" (Prosthetic)
Heavy Planet: "When their last album "Time Will Fuse It's Worth" came out, I listened to that album just about every day for a month. Ditto this one! It was well worth the three year wait."

06. Iron Age- "The Sleeping Eye" (Tee Pee)
Heavy Planet: "I love me some old hardcore/thrash metal, but when you throw in some killer stoner metal riffs in the vein of High on Fire/The Sword. what more can you ask for."

07. Elder- "Self-Titled" (Meteor City)
Heavy Planet: "This album was the best stoner/doom offering of the year thanks to Meteor City which is alive and very well."

08. Javelina- "Beasts Among Sheep" (Translation Loss)
Heavy Planet: "Every once in a while I like to listen to something a little on the edge of insanity, that would be this album. It has intensity and crushing riffs and combines them very well."

09. City Of Ships- "Look What God Did To Us" (Translation Loss)
Heavy Planet: "I really like what Translation Loss Records is doing these days and this band is one of their most promising. Blending atmospheric, swirling soundscapes with crushing heavy guitars and angst-filled vocals what is there not to like? Just sit back and chill."

10. Wo Fat- "Psychedelonaut" (Brainticket)
Heavy Planet: "Wo Fat take their cue from bands of the seventies and freshen it up with their own brand of Sabbath-inspired fuzzed-out trippy psychedlic stoner rock. Killer shit!"

Source: Heavy Planet's Top 10 Albums Of 2009

0 comments: